Last updated: June 28, 2020
Tesla is an American multinational company that was developed in 2003. With it’s headquarter in California, Tesla is reputable for manufacturing electric vehicles, scalable generation of clean energy, and storage products. Additionally, it also provides components for vehicles with its focus towards attaining sustainability.
This guide will evaluate the top 10 Tesla Competitors
1. Kia Motors
Headquarter: Seoul, South Korea
Electric Vehicle Models: Kia Niro EV | Kia Soul EV
With its headquarters in Seoul, South Korea, Kia Motors is recognized as the top competitor of Tesla. The company has around 13 manufacturing units and is the second-largest manufacturer of automobiles. This is evident from its production of 1.5 million cars on an annual basis.
Kia Motors effectively utilizes the services of their dealers and distributors to make sure that their products are accessible in more than 172 countries. You cannot disagree that Kia provides serious competition to Tesla due to the popularity of their cars, which includes Optima Hybrid, Rio Sedan, and Picanto.
- Kia Niro EV is the best SUV in the market that is known for its innovation, versatility, and comfort. It offers a mileage of 283 miles on a single charge and is powered by a battery pack of 64 kWh lithium-ion polymer.
- Kia Soul EV is another popular compact crossover SUV offered by Kia. It is highly efficient, with a range of 111 miles on a single charge.
Founders: Camillo Castiglioni, Franz Josef Popp, and Karl Rapp
Headquarter: Munich, Germany
Electric Vehicle Models: BMW i3 | BMW i8
Bayerische Motoren Werke, which is commonly referred as BMW, is a multinational automotive manufacturing company. Although its headquarter is based in Munich, yet it is known for its production of automobiles and motorcycles across the globe in regions including the United States, South Africa, United Kingdom, Brazil, China, and Germany.
It is considered as a major competitor of Tesla due to the reputation it has earned from its electric cars and high-performance model.
- BMW i3 is a high-roof hatchback, which falls under the B-class. It is marketed with an underfloor Li-ion battery pack along with an electric powertrain.
- BMW i8 is a two-door hybrid sports car, which runs on electric motor and fuel motor.
Founders: Masujiro Hashimoto, Kenjiro Den, Rokuro Aoyama, Meitaro Takeuchi, Yoshisuke Aikawa, and William R. Gorham
Headquarter: Nishi-Ku, Yokohama, Japan
Electric Vehicle Models: Nissan Leaf
Nissan is another multinational automobile company, which is regarded as the top competitor of Tesla. Based in Yokohama, this company is acknowledged as the major producer of electric vehicles. This is supported from the fact that it sells 320,000 electric vehicles annually across the globe as of April 2018. Moreover, it offers a diverse range of brands and products and is known for innovating new services and products.
- Nissan Leaf is a popular vehicle manufactured by Nissan, which offers a responsive acceleration, along with comfortable driving experience. It is highly efficient and is powered by electricity. It has a range of 151 miles when fully charged.
Founders: German Labour Front
Headquarter: Wolfsburg, Germany
Electric Vehicle Models: E-Golf | E-Up
Volkswagen Group, which also known as Volkswagen AG, is a reputed Tesla competitor and manufacturer of automobiles from Germany.
It is famous for producing “peoples’ car,” even though its history dates back to World War II. To cope up with the growing competition, Volkswagen offers sportier car models and focuses more towards advancement and modernization.
- Volkswagen e-Golf: When it comes to features and practicality, Volkswagen’s e-Golf is similar to its VG’s Golf. However, it is an electric vehicle, which is powered from a 35.8-kWh battery pack and has a range of 125 miles.
- Volkswagen E-UP: It is an electric car, which is powered from 18.7-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and has a range of 99 miles.
5. Hyundai Motors
Founders: Chung Ju-Yung
Headquarter: Seoul, South Korea
Electric Vehicle Models: ioniq | Kona
Hyundai motor company is a well-known automotive manufacturing company with its headquarters in South Korea. The focus of the company lies in serving its customers across the globe by providing them with automotive products and services of the best quality.
The objective of the company is becoming a lifetime companion of their clients as they are well aware of the significance of automobiles in the global market. According to Interbrand 2018 ranking, Hyundai motors is recognized as the 36th valuable brand globally due to their care, creativity, and simplicity.
- Ioniq is the electric vehicle introduced with a plug-in hybrid, hybrid, and as an all-electric variant. This five-door liftback is highly efficient with a maximum range of 170 miles.
- Kona was launched in the automobile industry in June 2017 by Hyundai. This subcompact crossover is a five-door SUV, which has a range of 290 miles and is available with an all-wheel-drive option.
Founders: Louis Chevrolet and William C. Durant
Headquarter: Detroit, Michigan, U.S
Electric Vehicle Models: Bolt EV
Chevrolet is another major competitor of Tesla and a division of General Motors Company. This automobile manufacturer is popular for its medium-duty trucks, subcompact cars, and electric vehicles, which are sold across the globe.
- Bolt EV is a powerful electric vehicle, which is equipped with technologically advanced features, along with plenty of space. With an estimated EPA of 238 miles on a single charge, this affordable car is the best you can get.
Founders: Ferdinand Porsche
Headquarter: Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Electric Vehicle Models: Taycan
Porsche is considered as a major name in the list of competitors of Tesla due to its recognition across the world. This German-based auto company is known for its automobiles and are considered experts for producing high-quality Boxster roadster and sports car. The charging station of Porsche is something popular as being the fastest charging station in the world.
Additionally, the company is known for its models, which includes Porsche Macan, Porsche Cayenne, Porsche Boxster, and Porsche Cayman.
- Porsche Taycan is known for its advanced performance characteristics and electrified components. It has the state-of-the-art capability of fast charging, which has a range of 270 miles and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds.
Founders: William Lyons
Headquarter: Whitley, England
Electric Vehicle Models: I-Pace
Jaguar is a popular brand and manufacturers of automobiles in the global industry. The success of the company is associated with its quality engineering, outstanding ride and handling, comfortable interiors, and thrilling performance.
- I-Pace is Jaguar’s first electric sports vehicle, which offers you an exhilarating drive by combining legendary refinement and jaguar performance. This vehicle has an estimated range of 292 miles and is powered by a 90.0-kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
Founders: Alexander Wilson
Headquarter: Chalton, Bedfordshire, England
Electric Vehicle Models: E-Corsa
Vauxhall is amongst the oldest manufacturer of automobiles in the UK and a major competitor of Tesla. Unlike other luxury brands, Vauxhall ensures that its products are equipped with advanced technology and features reliability that everyone seeks to achieve.
- Vauxhall E- Corsa: Vauxhall E-Corsa is an economical electric vehicle. It can be charged easily in your garage or house with a home charging kit. With a range of 211 miles, this electric vehicle offers a perfect alternative to Tesla.
Founders: Louis Renault, Marcel Renault, and Fernand Renault
Headquarter: Boulogne-Billancourt, France
Electric Vehicle Models: Renault Zoe
If you look at the global industry of automobiles, the first name that comes to your mind while thinking about iconic cars is Renault. It is widely popular for its futuristic concept cars, formula one victories, and automotive alliance, which allows it to offer sustainable mobility across the globe.
- Renault Zoe is an advanced super-mini electric car, which is known for its durability and reliability. This vehicle is equipped with a 22-kWh and 41-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and provides a range of 130 – 250 miles under the NEDC cycle.
Tell us what you think? Did you find this article interesting?
Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.